Monday, February 1, 2010

Ship launch

A flare in the evening sky. A rushing of wind. The glint of the falling sun on the ocean waves. It was the last launch of the evening, before the spaceport shut down for the incoming storm.
A smattering of rain fell upon my face as I watched the ship lazily trail out through the atmosphere. The clouds were coming fast now, hiding the sun on the horizon. I could hear sirens behind me, wailing and crying their distress. The sounds of the distressed panic rose over the barrier of trees.
I dug my bare toes into the sand, tracing the smoky contrail of the spaceship with my finger. The last of earth's finest were aboard it, fleeing total destruction. Who knows what planet they were bound for, somewhere peaceful, hopefully.
The ship vanished into the thickening clouds, punching a hole through them, just large enough to make it through unscathed. A breath found its way through my lips, and the tension escaped my clenched limbs. At least they were safe.
If only we hadn't... But that's futile, to wish for things that couldn't be. These were the last moments of my life. I may as well enjoy them.
I sat down, brushing away some sharp shells from beneath me, and gazed out towards the spaceport. The lights from the city glinted from its towering spires, flickering with its distraught colors. The ocean waves lapped peacefully in front of me, oblivious of it all.
I liked that. That was comforting. Maybe the ocean would still be here afterwards.
Ashes drifted down onto the beach around me, like snow. Some were still hot, burning with an orange glow. They drifted and swirled, and rested upon the restless waves with a hint of steam.
I closed my eyes, and leaned back gently, feeling the sensation of the burning flakes against my skin. The last sensations I'll ever feel. Enjoy the little things.
The rain started again, for real this time. The cool sensation of the rain quickly contrasted with the burning flakes, and I opened my eyes.
The sky was now filled with lances of fire. Burning chariots streaked across the sky, flames trailing behind them, quickly turning into a trail of thick, black smoke.
The rain stung my eyes. So many of them. They snaked their way towards the horizon, to the city behind me, to the ocean, to the seaport. Each of their trails held purpose, drive, confidence.
A tear dripped down my face, indistinguishable amongst the raindrops that covered my face. I smiled softly, and wiped it away, glancing quickly at the ground. It was all so pointless.
I could feel the tremors in the ground as the spheres of fire landed. I stood again, slowly, and watched them splashing into the ocean. Different noises from the city now. I ignored them, and watched as the shining towers of the spaceport fell to the ground. Their delicate structures leaned as the fireballs crashed into them, toppling with a gentle grace.
They sparkled as they fell, cutting wires, and letting loose the violent nature of the electricity that powered it. How quickly they were destroyed. So many years of construction, gone in an instant of spectacular beauty.
I shivered, and clung to myself. The rain was cold.
They liked their destruction to be personal. Up close, one on one. We humans waged our wars at a distance, we preferred to never know who it was that we were killing. We would feel for them if we did, it makes it hard on us. They killed up close because they needed to know, they needed it to be fair, they needed it to remember how terrible it really is.
Sometimes it was just necessary.
The ocean surged as they rose from the water. They pulled their massive bulks from its clinging grasp, and lumbered purposefully onto the beach. One in front of me stopped, and looked down, towering far above me.
Its metal frame dripped, and rivulets of water streamed down its elegant curves. Seaweed clung to it like a spiderweb. It knelt gently to the ground before me, and bent so we were face to face.
I smiled gently, and closed my eyes, tilting my head back. It looked so sad...

No comments:

Post a Comment